Bono’s Pit B-B-Q is firing up a North Jacksonville location in the Duval Station Centre shopping center.
The Jacksonville-based chain wants to renovate space at the center for a 2,909-square-foot restaurant. A building-permit application shows seating for 99 customers.
Auld & White Constructors LLC is shown as the contractor for the $200,000 project in an end unit at the center, which is anchored by Publix Super Markets Inc. at 731 Duval Station Road.
Bono’s, which began in 1949 when Lou Bono started his first restaurant, has 18 Florida restaurants, one in Colorado and two Willie Jewell’s Old School Bar-B-Q restaurants in Kingsland, Ga., and Charleston, S.C.
Bono’s operates 16 restaurants in Duval, Clay and St. Johns counties as well as one each in Gainesville and Stuart, according to its website, bonosbbq.com.
That site says under the leadership of Joe Adeeb and daughters Kirsten Martino and Katie Colley, the company has grown from a small, local operation to its current size.
Restaurants on the rise
• Starbucks Coffee Co. plans two new shops in Mandarin and the San Juan area of Westside. It was approved to build a shop and drive-thru in Mandarin at 11441 San Jose Blvd. In Westside, a shell building was approved at 4265 Roosevelt Blvd. to accommodate a new Starbucks.
• Panera Bread landed a permit to renovate a fifth restaurant, at 13820 Old St. Augustine Road in Mandarin, for its Panera 2.0 concept, which features enhanced technology for serving customers. The first four approved were those at St. Johns Town Center, River City Marketplace, 8635 Blanding Blvd. and 9301 Atlantic Blvd. It also plans to renovate those at OakLeaf Town Center and at Beach and Hodges boulevards.
• Publix Super Markets Inc. was permitted to renovate the facade of a retail center in Deerwood Village at 9964 Old Baymeadows Road.
• Golden Corral Buffet & Grill continues working on plans to build a $1.3 million restaurant in West Jacksonville at 1201 Memorial Park Drive, at Normandy Boulevard. The restaurant will replace the Golden Corral that operates at 7043 Normandy Blvd. The city is reviewing site
Food- and drink-related businesses filed names recently with the state Division of Corporations under the Fictitious Name Law to operate:
• Mama Lu Filipino & Chinese Restaurant, by Lucena U. Arguilla, 968 St. Johns Bluff Road N.
• City Perks Coffee Shop, by Karen L. Wright, 387 Gianna Way, St. Augustine.
• Sakura Buffet Sushi Hibachi & Seafood, 9764 Atlantic Blvd.
• Cabana Grill, 10422 San Jose Blvd.
• Whiskey Joe’s, 10915 Baymeadows Road, No. 135. The location previously featured Bubba Burger, Times Grill and Public House.
• Ship 2 Shore Seafood & Steaks, 1403 Dunn Ave., No. 21.
• Huckleberry’s Shack Country Style Breakfast & New
York Pizzeria, 3560 Philips Highway. It is the former Sultan Sandwich Shop.
• Friday’s, 9400 Atlantic Blvd.
• Moe’s Southwest Grill, 15128 Max Leggett Parkway.
Licensed to serve
Duval County Tax Collector Michael Corrigan issued business licenses for:
• Whit’s Frozen Custard of Atlantic Beach, to Seaside Custard LLC, 38 Ocean Blvd., Atlantic Beach. Seaside Custard LLC partners are Michael McKinley and Jessica McKinley.
• Bell Bakery, to Christina Anne Bell, 1175 East Coast Drive, Atlantic Beach.
• Selvino’s Pizza, to Orhan Celen, 5711 Bowden Road, No. 7.