Group also recognizes top projects
By Karen Brune Mathis, [email protected]
Commercial real estate brokers and developers recognized industry professionals and projects last month, honoring Steve Crosby with the lifetime achievement award.
The NAIOP Commercial Real Estate Development Association Northeast Florida Chapter presented the awards at its annual industry celebration, held this year at the Aetna Building on the Downtown Southbank.
Crosby, a member of NAIOP for 30 years, chaired the national group in 2004. He remains active on that board and in other parts of the organization.
For the past 32 years he has been with CSX. Crosby became president of CSX Real Property Inc. in 1999, where he worked until late 2014, when he became an executive-on-loan to lead InvestJax.
That is an effort of the JAX Chamber and the Jacksonville Civic Council to create a capital fund to accelerate Downtown redevelopment.
At CSX Real Property, he led an organization that generated more than $3.5 billion in revenue for the company.
NAIOP gave the Jesse B. Smith Award to Tom Goldsbury, chief of the city Building Inspection Division.
The award is given to someone outside the real estate industry who has had a positive impact on the community and the industry.
Smith, who died 21 years ago, was a veteran city employee who served in economic development, planning and development.
The Klechak Award for Downtown advocacy went to City Council President Lori Boyer.
The award recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions resulting in a significant impact on the development of Downtown.
Dr. Lew Klechak was first honored with the award for his vision and efforts for more than 15 years to the revitalization of the urban core while chairman of the Downtown Development Authority.
The 2016 industry winners included:
• Office lease: 701 Riverside Park Place (121 Financial), Colliers International, Robert Selton, Bart Hinson and Jason Hinson
• Industrial lease: 14500 Hyatt Road (Dynarex), Colliers International, Guy Preston and Robert Selton
• Construction project: Citizens Property Insurance Corp. Downtown (EverBank Center), Auld & White Constructors
• Redevelopment project: Intuition Ale Works, Iconic Real Estate Investments
• Design of the year: St. John & Partners (Riverplace Tower), OE&S
• Land sales of the year: Amazon.com in North Jacksonville, Cushman & Wakefield (for the buyer) and Colliers International (for the seller).
• Office broker: Chuck Diebel with Colliers International Northeast Florida.
• Industrial broker: Tyler Newman, Cushman & Wakefield
• Developing leader: Katie Kirchner, Strategic Sites
• Distinguished service: Brittany Culbreth, Emerald C’s Development
• Chapter merit award: Dave White, BankUnited
NAIOP’s area chapter of 240 members is a trade association of developers, owners and professionals in the commercial, industrial and mixed-use real estate industries.
It covers Northeast Florida from Jacksonville west to Tallahassee, south to Daytona, southwest to Gainesville and north to Ware and Glynn counties in Georgia.