Corys Thunder requests incentives for jobs, relocation: ‘Project Fission’ to add 35 jobs
Corys Thunder Inc., a simulation modeling, services and upgrades company, has requested $297,500 in City and state incentives to relocate and expand its operations from St. Mary's, Ga., to North Jacksonville.
The City Office of Economic Development reported the project will create 35 jobs at an average salary wage of $107,133.
Of the 35 jobs, 31 will relocate from St. Marys and four will be created by Dec. 31, 2015.
The company proposes to lease a 25,000-square-foot facility at 1351 Tradeport Drive in the Jacksonville International Tradeport. The site is in the Jacksonville International Airport Community Redevelopment Area.
The offices are the company's North American headquarters.
Legislation was filed and introduced Tuesday to City Council.
The legislation is filed as a resolution, seeks less than $300,000 and does not require waivers. It can be fast-tracked through Council in less than one cycle. The Council's next meeting is March 26.
Codenamed "Project Fission," the company requests incentives under the Qualified Target Industry Tax Refund program, including a High Impact Sector Bonus, of $245,000.
The City would be responsible for $49,000, or 20 percent, with the state paying the remaining $196,000, or 80 percent.
The additional $52,500 comes from the state as part of a Quick Response Training grant, according to the project summary.
The company proposes to invest $450,000, comprising $400,000 in leasehold improvements and $50,000 in machinery and equipment.
According to its website, corysthunder.com, the company is a subsidiary of Corys T.E.S.S. in Grenoble, France.
Corys T.E.S.S. says it is the largest simulator company in Europe. It has more than 200 employees and serves the power and transportation industries by providing training simulators and support.
Project documents from the City report Corys Thunder was founded in 2008 to provide engineering services and products for the simulation industry and its technology is the most widely used nuclear power plant training simulators in the U.S. and Europe.