Walmart leads area in grocery sales
Walmart remains the grocery leader in market share in the North Florida and South Georgia area, according to the Shelby Report of the Southeast trade publication.
The April edition reports that Walmart's 68 stores capture 30.3 percent of the $8.46 billion market in Jacksonville, Daytona Beach and Tallahassee in Florida and in Albany and Brunswick, Ga.
Publix and its 106 stores remain No. 2 with a 28.8 percent share, while Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie is No. 3. Their 89 stores captured 17.2 percent of the market.
The remaining companies held single-digit shares: Harveys, SuperValu, Save-A-Lot, SuperTarget and Ira Higdon.
Previous calculations also placed Walmart, Publix and Winn-Dixie as the top three, although Walmart gained slightly and Publix and Winn-Dixie, which merged with Bi-Lo, each declined by about a percentage point.
The shares are for chains, independents and the wholesalers that supply them within each region's distribution area.
Each market is defined by the sphere of distribution rather than geographic boundaries.
Percentages are estimates based on annualized sales, industry data, institutional research and store footprints.
Shelby said shares are updated as market metrics dictate.
The $8.46 billion represents the all-commodity volume, which represents the total annual sales volume of retailers that can be aggregated from individual store level up to larger geographical sets.
The volume's total dollar sales include the entire store inventory sales.
For more information, visit theshelbyreport.com.
The Shelby Report of the Southeast calculated market shares within the North Florida/South Georgia supermarket distribution area with a sales volume of $8.46 billion. The major chains and wholesalers are represented. The percentages don't add to 100 percent because smaller grocery stores and chains take the remainder of the market.
|Company ||# Stores ||% Market |
|Walmart ||68 ||30.3 |
|Publix ||106 ||28.8 |
|Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie ||89 ||17.2 |
|Harveys ||56 ||5.9 |
|SuperValu* ||19 ||2.7 |
|Save-A-Lot ||31 ||1.8 |
|SuperTarget ||6 ||1.4 |
|Ira Higdon* ||25 ||1.2 |
Outback remodeling at Queen's Harbour
Outback Steakhouse is investing $150,000 to remodel its dining room at 13245 Atlantic Blvd., No. 4, near Queen's Harbour Yacht & County Club.
Venture Construction Co. is the contractor for the project, which will renovate 3,281 square feet of the Australian-themed steakhouse.
McDonald's to renovate
The McDonald's at 11230 Old St. Augustine Road is in city review for renovations.
McDonald's Corp. wants to renovate the existing play area and replace it with landscaping; upgrade the drive-thru by removing or relocating the equipment and build a side-by-side drive-thru; and to bring the site into ADA compliance.
CPH Inc. is the engineer.
Restaurants in review
The city is reviewing building permit applications for:
• Little Caesars, 2733 Starratt Road, in the Kangaroo Express store, contractor is Newco Construction, $185,000
• Choba Grill, 9475 Philips Highway, No. 4, contractor is Ticon Inc., 1,150 square feet, $14,000.
• Fancy Café Japanese Grill, Sushi & Bento, 4530 St. Johns Ave., No. 9, contractor is Infinimage Construction Inc., 3,000 square feet, a new restaurant in part of a former 5,600-square-foot restaurant; the remaining 2,600 square feet will be new retail space, $45,000.
• Margarita Mexican Grill, 9825 San Jose Blvd., No. 24, contractor is All Weather Contractors Inc., 154 seats comprising 138 seats for dining and 16 seats at the bar.
Dunkin' Donuts OK'd in Fort Caroline
Dunkin' Donuts is building out its Fort Caroline area location at 3031 Monument Road, No. 4. Suncoast Industrial & Construction Services is the contractor for the $150,000 project, which will renovate the 2,175 square feet of space for Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin-Robbins.
• Tropical Smoothie Café, 4765 Hodges Blvd., No. 20, contractor is Taylor Sign & Design Inc., wall sign, $4,500.
• Takeria Mix Restaurant & Billiards, 6680 Power Ave., No. 108, contractor is Compass Builders & Renovators Inc., $1,100.
Food-related businesses filed names recently with the state Division of Corporations under the Fictitious Name Law to operate:
• Captain Kidd Seafood, by Duncan Jackson Jr., 3217 Walter Road.
• Roger Sandwiches, by Mary P. Naddaf, mailing address is 1801 Lakeshore Drive N., Fleming Island.
• Subway, 13720 Edgewood Ave., 2261 Edgewood Ave., 6000 Lake Gray Blvd. and 731 Duval Station Road in Jacksonville and 2851 Henley Road in Green Cove Springs, by A&B Enterprises of Jacksonville Inc., mailing address is 7545 Centurion Parkway, No. 203.
Licensed to serve
Duval County Tax Collector Michael Corrigan issued business licenses for:
• Baby Dolls Mini Donuts LLC, to Ken El, 1924 W. 33rd St.
• The Cake Barr, to Robin Camay Barr, 8106 Helston Drive.
• M&K Catering, to Mary M. Williams, 2356 W. Beaver St.