The city is reviewing plans for a 70-seat, 3,572-square-foot Cabana Grill on just under an acre along Max Leggett Parkway, near Airport Center Drive.
England-Thims & Miller Inc. is the project civil engineer and agent.
Fiesta Restaurant Group Inc., which owns and franchises Pollo Tropical and Taco Cabana, said late last year it would test-market a new concept — Cabana Grill — and chose Jacksonville’s Mandarin area as one of at least two test sites. The first was in the Atlanta area.
An executive with Addison, Texas-based Fiesta Restaurant Group said Cabana Grill is similar to Taco Cabana and the company was testing the concept outside of Texas.
The first “Cabana Grill, a taste of Mexico” in Jacksonville is under development at 10422 San Jose at the corner of Oak
The tacocabana.com site shows a menu with burritos, fajitas, tacos, quesadillas, tacos, nachos and more, along with beverages, desserts, breakfast, kids’ meals, margaritas and beer.
Dunkin’ Donuts tops 3 dozen shops in Duval
More than three dozen Dunkin’ Donuts locations will be serving coffee, doughnuts and more in Duval County based on the menu of plans either completed or in review.
Among the latest, Dunkin’ Donuts will renovate the former KFC at University and Beach boulevards. It will be at least the 10th shop it intends to build or remodel this year, boosting the investment in the projects to at least $2.3 million during 2014.
Suncoast Industrial & Construction Services will renovate the 2,282-square-foot restaurant at 3430 University Blvd. S. at a cost of $222,056. Suncoast pulled the permit Friday.
The former KFC was closed after it was damaged by fire in November.
Dunkin’ Donuts can be found in at least 36 Duval County locations. Of those, at least 16 are within Hess stations. At least seven of the stand-alone or inline stores include Baskin-Robbins.
The latest renovations will add a net of four new locations, taking the total to 40. More are expected.
Dunkin’ Donuts is part of the Dunkin’ Brands Group Inc. based in Canton, Mass. Dunkin’ Brands also owns Baskin-Robbins, which is why combination Dunkin’ and Baskin-Robbins stores are popping up.
So far this year, Dunkin’ Donuts has filed plans for:
• A new store in Bartram Park at 12709 Bartram Park Blvd., No. 1.
• A new shop in Southside at 3270 Emerson St., near Gallion Road.
• A shop in North Jacksonville at 842 Dunn Ave., No. 1.
• A shop at a former gas station at 12453 Philips Highway.
• A shop in Baymeadows at 8520 Baymeadows Road.
• A store in Fort Caroline in East Arlington at 3031 Monument Road, No. 4.
• A shop in the Beach and Hodges area at 13627 Beach Blvd.
• Renovations in Southside at 7171 Philips Highway.
• Remodeling in the San Marco area at 3929 Hendricks Ave.
Dunkin’ Donuts was founded in 1950 and has nearly 11,000 shops in 33 countries worldwide. Its website is DunkinDonuts.com.
On another note, Dunkin’ Donuts’ pumpkin lineup began Monday for a limited time. That includes pumpkin coffee and lattes; pumpkin pie doughnuts and doughnut holes; muffins; K-Cup packs; and packaged coffee.
Food- and drink-related businesses filed names with the state Division of Corporations under the Fictitious Name Law to operate:
• Bistro Aix, by Bistro Aix LLC, 10208 Buckhead Branch Drive. Managers of Bistro Aix LLC are Fraser Burns of Ponte Vedra Beach; Kevin Klempf of Jacksonville; and Charles Munsey of Jacksonville. The group bought Bistro Aix and uses the Ovinte address in St. Johns Town Center as its corporate address.
• Ship 2 Shore Seafood & Steaks, by Farahs Restaurant Management #2 Inc., 1403-21 Dunn Ave. Chris G. Farah is president and Charlie Z. Farah is vice president.
• Five Star Pizza, by 987 Pizza Inc., 987 Ponce De Leon Blvd. S., St. Augustine. Sandra Gillespie of St. Augustine is president and John Gillespie of St. Augustine is secretary.
• Willard’s BBQ Junction, by Bobby Wayne Campbell, 125 Center Place Way, Suite 102, St. Augustine.
• Woody’s of St. Augustine, by RSR Family III LLC, 1905 E. Lymington Way, St. Augustine. Sharon Erdel of St. Augustine is president; Robert Erdel of St. Augustine is vice president; Ranelle Wall of Saint Johns is vice president.
• Walmart Market No. 5005, by Wal-Mart Stores East L.P., 6855 Wilson Blvd.
• Istanbul Grill and Hookah Lounge, by FGHR Investments Inc., Fadi Yazgi, 9041 Southside Blvd., Suite 18.
• Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, 3814 University Blvd. W. and 6250 103rd St.
Licensed to serve
Duval County Tax Collector Michael Corrigan issued business licenses for:
• Cupcake 50 Etc. Inc., to Charlotte Burch, 5150 Timuquana Road, No. 19.
• Rita’s Ice Custard Happiness, to BME Group LLC, 13529 Beach Blvd. Rodney Hampton and Angela Hampton are managers of BME Group.
• Goshen’s Tastee Treats LLC, to Goshen Auto Transport Inc., 4070 Herschel St., No. 1. Mobile vendor. Timothy Robertson of Macclenny is president of Goshen Auto Transport.
• NY Pizza, to Dharma Team Inc., 9501 Arlington Expressway, Food Court-4.
• Rafi’s Sandwich Shop and Catering LLC, to Ara Manook, 948 Cesery Blvd.
• Top Gun Dogz, to Charles Murray, 5141 Beach Blvd. Mobile vendor.
• Tuscany D’Elsa Inc., to Alirio Anival Fuentes, 8642 Baymeadows Road.
The Parkway Shops at River City Marketplace appears to be the site of the area’s second Cabana Grill.