GE Oil & Gas Measurement & Control, based near Boston, posted an opening Aug. 29 for a “site lean leader” who “will be involved in long-term planning and contribute to the overall business strategy for a new facility.”
The postings reviewed since Aug. 15 do not specify a location within Jacksonville. Several refer to the manufacturing, engineering and design control-valve products. The Becker product line is included in some of the listings.
A posting for a mechanical engineering position specified the person would relocate within nine months to the Southeast from Elk Grove Village, Ill., which is near Chicago.
The communications manager for GE Oil & Gas did not elaborate about the job postings.
“GE Oil & Gas constantly reviews operations, organization structures and product and services in order to support our growth strategy and meet the needs of our customers. At this time, we have nothing to announce but let me know if you have any additional questions,” said Lindsey Benton, the communications manager for GE Oil & Gas in an email Wednesday.
Kristen Sell, a spokeswoman for Mayor Alvin Brown, said the best source of information will be the company.
The JAX Chamber declined comment.
“We are not able to comment at this time,” said Matt Galnor, vice president of public affairs at the JAX Chamber.
General Electric Co., based in Fairfield, Conn., traces its beginnings to Thomas A. Edison, who established Edison Electric Light Co. in 1878. GE is the only company listed in the Dow Jones Industrial Index today that was also included in the original index in 1896.
GE ranked No. 9 on the 2014 Fortune 500 list with revenue of $146.2 billion.
Its annual report for 2013 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission states the company is one of the largest and most diversified infrastructure and financial services corporations in the world.
Its products and services range from aircraft engines, power generation, oil and gas production equipment and household appliances to medical imaging, business and consumer financing and industrial products.
GE says it serves customers in more than 100 countries and employs about 307,000 people worldwide.
The report says manufacturing operations are carried out in about 237 plants in 38 states in the United States and Puerto Rico and at 305 plants in 40 other countries.
GE Oil & Gas is a global leader in advanced technology equipment and services for all segments of the oil and gas industry. It supplies equipment for the global oil and gas industry, used from drilling through production, liquefied natural gas and pipeline compression, pipeline inspection, and downstream processing in refineries and petrochemical plants.
It says it works with industries that include oil and gas, power generation, aerospace, metals and transportation.
The company says it has more than 40 facilities in 25 countries.
Some of the job postings specify relocation and one specifies the “ability and willingness to relocate” to Jacksonville. The company offers relocation expenses for some of the positions.
Among the eight other postings:
• Engineer – technical lead, Becker product line: Will provide leadership to the Becker Requisition Engineering team and will oversee engineers executing Becker control valve designs.
• Engineering specialist: A technical position within the Becker Requisition Engineering group.
• Design engineer: Develop control valve products based on customer specifications and will support the Becker product line. The position also will “support transfer of work activities in preparation of a factory relocation” from Elk Grove Village to Jacksonville.
• Manufacturing site quality leader: Responsible for driving quality performance and improvement across all functions at the site to ensure the satisfaction of customer requirements, development of organizational process and minimization of defects. The position has an eligibility requirements of the “ability and willingness” to relocate to Jacksonville.
• Customer care working lead/SAP super user: Responsible for training the customer care team in order entry and order management. The person also will act as the main customer facing representative and be critical in driving a climate of customer care excellence.
• SAP tools and process lead, engineering: Responsible for working cross-functionally to develop and implement engineering processes, including training, deployment, development, and measurement of performance metrics.
• Lead supplier quality engineer: Works with engineering, project management, the field service team and the GE Oil & Gas Global Sourcing team.
Another posting made 35 days ago that is no longer taking applications is for lead mechanical engineer for GE Oil & Gas in Jacksonville.
That position will develop specific control valve products based on customer specifications and applicable codes.
That posting specified the position would “support day-to-day engineering in Elk Grove Village and transfer to the southeast US within 9 months.”
A business unit of GE Oil & Gas has been posting career opportunities the past several weeks for jobs in Jacksonville, and one refers to a new facility and another refers to a factory relocation from Illinois.