The Florida Bar will recognize 21 lawyers for work on behalf of poor and indigent clients at a Jan. 31 ceremony at the Florida Supreme Court.
The Florida Bar president’s Pro Bono Service Award was established in 1981 as a way to recognize those who make public service commitments and raise public awareness of the volunteer services provided by Florida lawyers to those who cannot afford legal fees.
Florida Bar President Frank Angones will present the 2008 awards to recipients in each of Florida’s 20 judicial circuits and one Florida Bar member practicing outside the state.
The awards are presented in conjunction with the Tobias Simon Pro Bono Service Award, which is given by the Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court. Awards will also be presented for Distinguished Judicial Service, Law Firm Commendation, Voluntary Bar Association and Young Lawyer.
Florida Bar president’s Pro Bono Service Award winners:
• William Jemison Mims, Jr., First Circuit. Mims is an associate with Levin, Papantonio, Thomas, Mitchell, Eschner & Proctor, P.A. in Pensacola.
• Suzanne Smith Brownless, Second Circuit. Brownless practices in all areas of regulatory and administrative law.
• Robert Eugene Fridley, Third Circuit. Fridley is in private practice with the Law Offices of Robert Fridley, P.A., with offices in Gainesville, Lake City and Jacksonville.
• James D. Francis, Fourth Circuit. Francis serves as president of Freeport Petroleum Company Ltd. and is chairman of the board for Micro-Ant Inc., a designer and manufacturer of specialty antennas.
• Jack Arthur Moring, Fifth Circuit. Moring a partner and shareholder in the Crystal River firm Moring & Moring, P.A.
• Dionne Maria Blaesing, Sixth Circuit. Blaesing is a partner in the New Port Richey firm of Blaesing & Diaz, P.A.
• Debra Trevlyn Alexander, Seventh Circuit. Alexander is in private practice in St. Augustine and serves as court-appointed counsel for felony, misdemeanor, delinquency and dependency matters as well as providing representation in private criminal and civil family law.
• Theodore Mark Burt, Eighth Circuit. Burt is in private practice in Trenton.
• John Richard Hamilton, Ninth Circuit. Hamilton is a Florida Bar board-certified appellate practice lawyer and partner in Foley & Lardner LLP In Orlando.
• Gary Randall Gossett Jr., 10th Circuit. Gossett has had his own firm, Gossett Law Offices, P.A., in Sebring since 1991.
• Melanie Emmons Damian, Eleventh Circuit. Damian is partner and CFO of Damian & Valori LLP in Miami.
• Morgan Ray Bentley, 12th Circuit. Bentley is a partner with Williams, Parker, Harrison, Dietz & Getzen in Sarasota.
• Danelle Dykes Barksdale, 13th Circuit. Barksdale has been an adoption attorney with The Law Offices of Jeanne T. Tate, P.A., in Tampa since 1999.
• Carlotta Appleman-Moniz, 14th Circuit. Appleman-Moniz is a partner at Harrison, Sale, McCloy and Thompson, P.A. in Panama City, where she has worked since 2000.
• Julie Hope Littky-Rubin, 15th Circuit. Littky-Rubin is a Florida Bar board-certified appellate attorney and is head of the appellate practice section at Lytal, Reiter, Clark, Fountain & Williams LLP in West Palm Beach.
• Patricia Ann Eables, 16th Circuit. Eables is a partner at Horan, Wallace & Higgins LLC in Key West.
• Russell E. Carlisle, 17th Circuit. Carlisle, sole practitioner of the Carlisle Law Firm in Fort Lauderdale, is Florida Bar board certified in elder law.
• Amy Christine Hamlin, 18th Circuit. Hamlin is an associate attorney with the law firm of Levin, Morgan & Longo LLC in Longwood, where she represents family law clients in circuit and appellate matters.
• Ginger Allison Miranda, 19th Circuit. Miranda, sole practitioner of Ginger Miranda P.A. in Fort Pierce, works extensively with immigrant programs.
• Melinda Paniagua Riddle, 20th Circuit. Melinda Paniagua Riddle has been a solo practitioner in Naples since 1994.
• Ross Benjamin Bricker, Out-of-State Florida Bar Member (Chicago). Ross Benjamin Bricker is a partner at Jenner & Block, where he is a member of the firm’s litigation department.
— Courtesy of the Florida Bar