The franchisee for Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, which plans to open the chain’s first Jacksonville store next spring, will invest at least $800,000 to build it.
A building-permit application outlines a more than 100 seat, 3,213-square-foot restaurant on almost an acre at 14026 Beach Blvd.
No contractor is specified for the project, part of a Kansas-based chain with 124 restaurants in 23 states.
The first Jacksonville location, which will be constructed across from Regal Cinemas along Beach Boulevard, will provide interior and patio seating.
The site is east of Beach and Hodges boulevards.
Winter Architects, based in Wichita, is the architect. Freddy’s also is headquartered in Wichita.
Franchisee Kyle Gerstner previously told the Daily Record he might build up to 15 Freddy’s locations in the metro area over 10 years.
The menu focuses on custards, including concretes; steakburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches and tenders; fries and onion rings; and combos. Hours are 10:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 10:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday.
Winn-Dixie renovates PV store
The Ponte Vedra Beach Winn-Dixie plans an open house for its renovated store at 290 Solana Road. The 5:30-7 p.m. Nov. 14 event will feature music, food, giveaways and more. The store will operate 7 a.m.-11 p.m. daily. Pharmacy hours are 8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily.
Remodeling began in March and the store remained open during renovations, which resulted in a new deli, hot bar, wing bar and rotisserie; wine and cheese gallery; new seafood and meat departments; a new pharmacy; and more.
Other community events include “Taste of the Holidays” from 4-6:30 p.m. Dec. 12 and a “New Year’s Celebration” 4-6:30 p.m. Dec. 30.
On the rise
• Wicked Barley Brewing Co. LLC intends to build a 7,300-square-foot brewery and beer garden at southeast Baymeadows Road and Goodby’s Creek. The city issued a mobility fee calculation certificate for the project. Wicked Barley Brewing Co. bought the vacant 2.08-acre site Aug. 18 for $370,000. Plans also show a dock. Wicked Barley is based in Middleburg, state records show. Its Facebook page is Wicked Barley Brewing Co. – Jacksonville, FL.
• Another Broken Egg Café opened Monday in Tapestry Park at 4820 Deer Lake Drive W. Restaurantnews.com said the 2,642-square-foot breakfast, lunch and weekend brunch restaurant seats 72 inside and another 83 outside on the patio. The menu features Southern-inspired dishes, including six varieties of eggs Benedict, 11 omelet choices, Belgian waffles, French toast, pancakes and more along with burgers, sandwiches and salads. There also are breakfast cocktails such as mimosas. The café operates 7 a.m.-2 p.m. daily. It is closed Thanksgiving and Christmas.
• BurgerFi will open at The Markets at Town Center on Nov. 12. It will be the first Jacksonville location; a second is planned in Brooklyn Station on Riverside. The “better burger concept” features all-natural burgers, fries and frozen custard as well as hot dogs, beer and wine.
• Waffle House intends to open in Baymeadows on an outparcel at the Four Points by Sheraton hotel at 8520 Baymeadows Road. Waffle House Inc. wants to build a 1,744-square-foot location on a 0.73-acre site. Taylor & White Inc. is the civil engineer. The city is reviewing site plans.
• Krystal will renovate its 5444 Blanding Blvd. location at an estimated cost of $125,000.
• Jacksonville-based Native Sun posted on nativesunjax.com that it will open its third area store in the first quarter next year at Third Street and 15th Avenue North in Jacksonville Beach. “We have received customer requests to come to the beaches for years,” the site says. The first two stores are at 10000 San Jose Blvd. in Mandarin and 11030 Baymeadows Road in Baymeadows.
Food- and drink-related businesses filed names with the state Division of Corporations under the Fictitious Name Law to operate:
• Southern Roots, by Mariah Jae Goelz, 1275 King St.
• Holy Smokes BBQ, by Terry J. Koljeski, 280 U.S. 90 W., Baldwin.
• Frida Taqueria & Tequila Bar, by Martinez Mexican Restaurant Inc., 12 Avenida Menendez, St. Augustine. Asdrubal Martinez is director of Martinez Mexican Restaurant Inc.
• Bongiorno’s Pizza, by JCSB Corp., 2294 Mayport Road, No. 2. Jeffrey Bongiorno is president.
Licensed to serve
Duval County Tax Collector Michael Corrigan issued business licenses for:
• Mama Gussie’s Inc., to Leon Hill, 2300 Trout River Blvd.
• Sushi King, Twins Feng LLC, 2750 Race Track Road.