This past year has given me (and The Jacksonville Bar) a lot of gifts, including a great new executive director in Jim Bailey, and a dedicated association office staff.
By Tad Delegal
I hope that everyone got what they wanted for Christmas (or for Hanukkah or whatever you may celebrate).
We had a great holiday at our house, with all of the kids home from college and grad school and a chance to see family.
This past year has given me (and The Jacksonville Bar) a lot of gifts, including a great new executive director in Jim Bailey, and a dedicated association office staff. We recently added Craig Shoup, whom we were able to pry away from the Public Defender’s Office, as part of the team.
We have an active board of governors, and an outstanding executive committee: Katie Dearing, Elizabeth Ferguson and Michelle Barnett.
Add to that mix an enthusiastic group of section and committee chairs, and you can say that we’ve had Christmas for some time now.
Some folks have not been as lucky, though. While our great Senior Holiday Project committee members, led by chair Kimberly Jones of Baumann, Gant & Keeley, were able to deliver more than 400 needed presents to area seniors, they couldn’t get to everyone who really needed a certain present.
Here is a list of some of those who didn’t get the presents they really needed — and the gifts they still need:
- The Florida State University football team: A copy of “The Idiot’s Guide to Coaching Four Years’ Worth of Top-Five Draft Classes.”
- The University of Florida football team: That Harry Potter memory-erasing spell to erase all memory of the 2017 season, and Dan Mullen (oh yeah, we did get that.)
- The Florida Supreme Court: A little love from the state Legislature.
- The UF basketball team: Last year’s defense.
- Coastal areas: Global warming skeptic education.
- The entire state of Florida: A hurricane protection shield. Jim Bailey: A decent Jacksonville Bar president.
- Julie Delegal: A husband who is trainable after 25 years.
- San Marco: That promised Publix to finally open.
- Shad Khan: Never mind. He got everything.