Aldi, which landed a building permit Thursday for its first Jacksonville store, also is preparing to open in Middleburg in Clay County and scheduled a job fair March 10.
That makes three North Florida Aldi stores. It opened its first area location in October in St. Augustine in St. Johns County.
The international discount supermarket chain, whose trade name is ALDI, intends to open its Middleburg store at 1702 Blanding Blvd. in the spring.
It plans the March 10 hiring event at the Courtyard Jacksonville Orange Park at 610 Wells Road. Hours are 8 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m.
The store intends to hire at least 10 associates and shift managers.
Associates’ pay is $11.25 an hour and shift managers’ pay is $15.25 an hour, according to an Aldi news release.
The St. Augustine store is at 1773 U.S. 1 and the Jacksonville store will open in Southside Square in the former Circle K Furniture store at 9041 Southside Blvd.
The city approved a $1 million renovation of the former furniture store for the 12,025-square-foot Aldi. A spokeswoman said Aldi has not shared details regarding a Jacksonville store opening.
Aldi operates almost 1,400 stores in 32 states from Kansas to the East Coast and has been adding an average of 80 stores each year.
The company plans to open 650 new stores across the country, boosting the number of U.S. stores to almost 2,000 by the end of 2018.
Aldi, based in Germany, was started in the same family that created Trader Joe’s.
Super Food applies for $45,000 renovation Downtown
Super Food & Brew Inc.’s proposed 11 East restaurant Downtown is under review for a building permit, a requisite step to comply with approvals for a grant from the Downtown Investment Authority.
All Weather Contractors Inc. is the contractor for the $45,000 renovation of 2,700 square feet on the ground floor at 11 E. Forsyth St., the former site of a Starbucks Coffee shop.
Last week, the DIA approved a $49,837 forgivable loan under the Retail Enhancement Program so long as the project obtains permits and completes the work within six months of the final DIA agreement. A six-month extension is possible.
Super Food & Brew is co-owned by Super Food Truck operators Dale Stoudt and Richard Haugk. The restaurant would offer artisan coffee, pastries, locally grown produce, hormone-free meat and fresh fish along with a craft beer and wine list.
The total investment is estimated at $99,675 and the eligible improvement costs are estimated at $84,175.
Peterbrooke adding factory offices
Peterbrooke Chocolatier, which is developing a bigger chocolate factory at 249 Copeland St. in Brooklyn, wants to renovate space in the building for offices.
Infinity Design Builders Inc. is the contractor for the $98,827 renovation of the 2,863-square-foot space.
The Jacksonville-based chocolatier is renovating a former food-processing plant at Copeland and Forest streets into its corporate base, production plant and tourism center.
Restaurant on the rise
• Beer:30, a craft beer emporium, is building out in San Marco at 1543 San Marco Blvd.
Food- and drink-related businesses filed names with the state Division of Corporations under the Fictitious Name Law to operate
• R&R Barbeque, to Willie Reese and Baraka J. Johnson, 1934 W. 24th St.
• Steppin Out Lounge & Sports Bar, to Robert Ellis Brown, 5063 Normandy Blvd.
• The Oasis Sandwich Shop, to Francis & Sonia Inc., 866 Edgewood Ave. N. Francis Azer is president and Sonia Azer is vice president of Francis & Sonia Inc.
• Zaxby’s, to Yulee Jasz Inc., Nassau County. Yulee Jasz directors are Jeanne C. Ward, Susan C. Satterfield, Ronald J. Gosselin and Jessica Gosselin. Mailing address is 11315 Business Park Blvd., Jacksonville
• Suzie M Cupcakes, to Suzette Michelle Young, St. Johns County. Mailing address is P.O. Box 78, Hastings.
Licensed to serve
Duval County Tax Collector Michael Corrigan issued business licenses for:
• Sweeto Burrito, to Fortunate Roots LLC, 14701 Bartram Park Blvd., No. 419. Mobile vendor.
• Wauga Wauga Gourmet Food Truck, to Waug&Garb Inc., 12737 S. Serenade Circle. Mobile vendor.
• Mawmaw’s Kitchen, to Kathy McCary, 14340 Boney Road. Mobile vendor.