Site demolition is pending for construction for GFS Marketplace, a Gordon Food Service store, at Beach and Hodges boulevards.
The city is reviewing plans for Arwood Waste Inc. to demolish and remove a building at 13427 Beach Blvd. for construction of the grocery store. The demolition cost is shown as $22,300.
Pinnacle Real Estate Inc., the store developer, bought almost 2.9 acres on Dec. 23 for the project, a 16,000-square-foot store.
Gordon Food Service, a Michigan-based restaurant supplier, operates more than 165 marketplace stores in 10 states, including at least 14 in Florida. The stores sell food and products in large quantities but do not charge a membership fee like the big-box stores.
Plans filed with the city for the Jacksonville site show two buildings — the store and a future unidentified 4,400-square-foot, 158-seat restaurant.
Gordon Food Service was created in 1897 and is a family-owned and managed foodservice distributor. Its Florida distribution centers are in Miami, Ocala and Plant City.
The company broke ground Feb. 27 on a 276,000-square-foot distribution center in Douglasville, Ga.
The center is expected to start operations in winter 2015 and employ about 200 people within three years.
The company distributes from 21 centers in North America. A second new center will open in spring 2015 in Pittsburgh.
Waffle House plans Normandy restaurant
Waffle House Inc. filed plans with the city to build a 38-seat restaurant at 7200 Normandy Blvd. in the northeast corner of the shopping-center parking lot.
Taylor & White Inc. is the engineer for the project.
Krispy Kreme rising on 103rd
Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corp., which also is building in Arlington and Southside, is planning to develop a shop at 6250 103rd St. in West Jacksonville.
No contractor is listed on a permit application under review by the city. The 2,671-square-foot shop carries a project cost of $356,162.
Hardee's renovating two stores
Hardee’s Restaurants LLC filed permit applications with the city to “refresh” its locations at 8040 Normandy Blvd. and 11191 San Jose Blvd. Wathco is the contractor.
The projects includes entrance and parking improvements, restroom upgrades, painting, updated seating and other work.
Cuban Cafe opening on Beach Boulevard
My Dreams Cuban Café is in review for tenant build-out at 9938 Beach Blvd. Quality Trust Investments Inc. is shown as the contractor for the $13,000 project. The architect is Raul Chaumont Architect.
Licensed to serve
Duval County Tax Collector Michael Corrigan issued business licenses for:
• Jackson D Seafood, to Anmar Rashid, 1286 Dunn Ave.
• Subway, to A&B Enterprises of Jacksonville Inc., 8540 Argyle Forest Blvd., No. 5; 2261 Edgewood Ave. W., No. 9; 13720 Old St. Augustine Road, No. 10; 3200 Armsdale Road; 3000 Moncrief Road, No. 1; and 4146 S. Third St., Jacksonville Beach.
• Lola’s, to CPVR Lolas Jacksonville LLC, 1522 King St.
• Carmines Pie House, CPVR Carmines Jacksonville LLC, 2677 Forbes St.
• Deerwood Food Store, to Kandah Inc., 9551 Baymeadows Road, No. 25.
• What’s The Catch LLC, to John R. Cockerill, 829 Penman Road, Jacksonville Beach, mobile vendor.
Food-related businesses filed names recently with the state Division of Corporations under the Fictitious Name Law to operate:
• Fuji Sushi, by Dong & Yo Corp., 10920 Baymeadows Road.
• La Cena Ristorante, by Jerrimor Corp., 215 N. Laura St.
• Mega Supermarket, by Wasem Yazaji, 4302 Moncrief Road W.
• Sweet Frog Premium Yogurt Co., by Jeff Sooey and Wendie Mayfield, mailing address is 6346 Forest Stump Lane.
• Fratelli’s Restaurant, by TG Restaurants Holding LLC, 415 Anastasia Blvd., St. Augustine.
• Purple Duck Grille, by Christine K. Asay, mailing address is 9155 County Road 13, St. Augustine.