Skip to main content
Jax Daily Record Monday, Jun. 9, 201412:00 PM EST

'Talleyrand Docks and Terminals' adopted by authority

by: Max Marbut Associate Editor

A secretary at Wilson and Toomer Fertilizer Co. along Talleyrand Avenue won a trip to Nassau for herself and her husband for the winning entry in a contest to name the Jacksonville Port Authority’s docks and terminals.

Ida Maxwell of 5739 Weller Ave. submitted the winning name: “Talleyrand Docks and Terminals.”

Frank Peterson, a member of the authority, notified Maxwell by telephone that she had won.

“No, I didn’t really win it, did I?” she asked. “Do I have to go by myself?”

Peterson assured Maxwell the trip was for two. She would be accompanied by her husband, Frank Maxwell Jr., a cashier in the city treasurer’s office.

The trip was donated by W.R. Lovett, owner of Eastern Steamship Co.

More than 1,000 entries were received, ranging from “Port Holy Mackerel” to “Duville Docks.” The most-entered suggestion was “Gateway Docks and Terminals.”

Peterson said the name would be adopted July 2 at the authority’s next meeting.

• A Federal Housing Administration official said “life cycle neighborhoods” and requiring a return to the small town concept of living, would end “age group and financial ghettoes.”

Charles Powell, FHA zone site planning adviser, was the keynote speaker before a group of city and county planners, architects, developers and builders at the Mayflower Hotel.

”Dreams of a home in the country turn into dreary look-alike developments, the slums of the future,” he said.

“Built-in obsolescence and boredom in housing developments have led to ghettoes for each age group and a ghettoizing by income, as if to say young married couples with an apprenticeship job are undesirable and must be confined to certain areas and, when older, another. The small town design should influence the planning of neighborhoods. Instead of miles of houses, we may realize neighborhoods like towns with a greater mixture of housing facilities and people,” Powell said.

• The fountain at San Marco and Atlantic boulevards soon would be bubbling again after being shut down for more than 10 years, during which time it was used as a flower planter.

Workers installed a clear plastic bubble over the fountain designed to keep water from blowing onto pedestrians and to keep trash out of the fountain.

The restoration and covering of the fountain cost $4,800, said City Council member R. Laverne Reynolds.

• Duval County’s delegation to the 1965 Legislature would be asked to increase paid holidays for county employees from seven to nine.

The Board of County Commissioners voted to direct County Attorney J. Henry Blount to prepare a bill that would make the county holidays conform with the nine observed by the City of Jacksonville.

Commissioner Bob Harris said it was apparent the public was confused because the county didn’t observe some of the holidays observed by the city and federal agencies. He said people assumed that the County Courthouse would be closed when city and federal offices were closed. As a result, Harris said, the majority of the public that would otherwise be doing business at the courthouse would not attempt it, even though the courthouse was open.

• The city Planning Advisory Board, following up on its success toward establishment of a park surrounding the Treaty Oak, put forth more plans for beautification of the city.

The board accepted a proposal from the Jacksonville Chapter of the American Institute of Architects to have its members, on a voluntary basis, produce sketches of possible improvements in depressed city areas.

On the suggestion of board member Mellen Greely, the architects were asked to consider the Main Street area south of the St. Johns River as their first project.

The board also authorized its chairman, O.E. Harrell, to designate a special committee to study a suggestion for establishment of a Jacksonville Trade Mart to be sponsored by the city and the Jacksonville Port Authority. The mart would display Jacksonville’s domestic and international trade products.

The board also, on the motion of Mrs. C.D. Towers, recommended to the City Commission that Treaty Oak Park be named in honor of Mrs. Jessie Ball duPont. Towers said duPont had preserved the site for more than 30 years and had donated it to the city.

Along with the land, duPont donated to the city $30,000 to purchase adjacent lots and expand the park site.

• Jacksonville attorney Frederick Scott, who was serving a five-year prison term at the Avon Park Correctional Institute, was disbarred by the Florida Supreme Court.

Scott was adjudged by the Duval County Court of Record on Oct. 21, 1963, as guilty of conspiracy to commit grand larceny of $4,055 from the Travelers Insurance Co.

The records showed that Scott had not filed an answer to the Florida’s Bar’s notice that he show cause why he should not be disbarred.

• City Council authorized a bus fare increase for the Jacksonville Coach Co., the private operator of mass transit in the county in 1964.

The change meant the elimination of the four single-fare tickets for 90 cents package and reduction of the age limit for the 10-cent children’s fare from 15 to 12 years. No change was made in the 4-cent school bus fare.

• The U.S Weather Bureau labeled a storm that leveled parts of Avondale, Lakeshore, Normandy and Ortega a “tornado that skipped above the ground, touching down every few blocks to inflict severe damage.”

More than 600 workers from the city Electric Department immediately began clearing damage and restoring power. It would take as long as three days to restore power to some locations, said Robert Cowan, engineering manager.

“We plotted the course of damage in the area and it appears that the storm was going in a straight line. The only characteristic not reported of the storm that is indicative of a tornado is the sound similar to a roar of an express train. Otherwise, from all reports we would likely accept the main storm as a tornado and the damage in the outlying areas as smaller funnels which also skipped but did not lay on the ground in a consistent path,” said Roger Plaster, meteorologist in charge of the bureau at Imeson Airport.

The power outage had a profound effect on one affected resident.

“I breathed because I had to,” said Dorothy Newgard of 1404 Belvedere Road, who had been in an iron lung for 10 years. She said she was looking out the window when the storm hit.

“I was watching the wind push sheets of rain one way and then all of a sudden, they reversed and I began to worry about the trees and then the lights went out. I could breathe a little, but it was a tremendous choking effort,” she said.

A lieutenant and two firefighters from Station 10 arrived three minutes after they received a call from the Newgard home and set up a portable generator to operate the iron lung.

“I thank God for the firemen. They were here in no time. It was less than 18 minutes from the time the electricity went out until they had the lung operating again,” she said.

She was in her home with her husband and three daughters, one of whom was born in an iron lung six weeks after Newgard contracted polio.

Related Stories