Flagler Health+ and UF Health announced Feb. 2 they have entered into a nonbinding letter of intent to create a partnership to provide health care in Duval, Flagler, St. Johns, Clay and Putnam counties.
UF Health announced the agreement in a news release on its website.
The hospitals will engage in due diligence with the intent of Flagler Health+ becoming part of UF Health later this year.
“We envision a future where the services provided by Flagler Health+ meet all our community members’ needs,” Flagler Health+ Board of Trustees Chairman Todd Neville said in the release.
“We are pleased with how our exploration is progressing and look forward to the possibility of making this vision a reality with the University of Florida. Moving forward with UF Health is the right next step because of our shared commitment to those we serve.”
UF Health is the University of Florida’s academic health center. UF Health has seven hospitals in the University of Florida health system including the teaching hospital at UF Health-Jacksonville.
UF Health will soon open Jacksonville-based Emergency & Urgent Care Centers in Baymeadows, West Jacksonville and Northwest Jacksonville.
“Collaboration and a keen commitment to solutions is in our DNA. We are up to the task and intend to lead the way,” said Mori Hosseini, chair of the UF Board of Trustees in the release.
The release listed specific goals Flagler Health+ sought in a partner:
- Continued enhancement of quality and patient satisfaction through the sharing of best practices.
- Supporting key community-focused service lines (including behavioral health and women’s health) while expanding the breadth and depth of services provided locally.
- Enhancing Flagler Health+’s ability to provide high-quality health care services to underserved populations.
- Strengthening recruitment and retention of team members, physicians and advanced practice providers to enhance the community’s access to local quality health care.
- Adding technology resources and expertise, including an integrated enterprisewide technology strategy, electronic health record implementation and new clinical technology and equipment to support health care professionals.
- Enhanced access to capital to support investments in facilities, infrastructure, technology and growth initiatives.
The due diligence period will be used to determine and draft details of a final agreement. The release said the process is not expected to affect the hospital’s regular daily services.