The 4th Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission interviewed 18 applicants Feb. 10 for two vacancies on the bench and sent the names of 10 nominees to Gov. Ron DeSantis to be considered for appointment.
For the vacancy created by the retirement of Duval County Judge Roberto Arias:
• Spohrer & Dodd partner Galen Bauer.
• 4th Circuit Assistant Public Defender Joshua Beard.
• 4th Circuit General Magistrate Brooke Brady.
• 4th Circuit General Magistrate Marquita Green.
• 4th Circuit Assistant State Attorney Katelyn Johnston.
• Matthew Lufrano, owner and shareholder at Lufrano Legal.
For the vacancy created by the elevation of Circuit Judge Adrian Soud to the 5th District Court of Appeal, the commission nominated Bauer, Brady and Lufrano as well as Duval County Judge Jonathan Sacks.
Under state law, DeSantis has 60 days to appoint nominees to fill each vacancy or ask the commission to present additional nominees.