Metal Container Corp. planning $170M expansion

(Photo from
(Photo from
  • Government
  • Share

Metal Container Corp. is rolling out initial permitting applications for the proposed $170 million expansion by its parent company, Anheuser-Busch.

The company, which makes cans for the beer maker’s U.S. operations, applied to the city for a mobility fee calculation for a 202,000-square-foot expansion to its 1100 Ellis Road plant in West Jacksonville.

Part of Anheuser-Busch’s plan is to increase production of the Budweiser and Bud Light aluminum bottles.

The company began producing the bottles in 2013. The Jacksonville facility will be the second Metal Container Corp. plant to produce them.

The expansion will boost the plant to almost 450,000 square feet, the application shows. The mobility fee is calculated at $130,854.

The city’s mobility fee is the cost for a new development based upon the link between land development and transportation. The certificates generally are valid for a year.

Anheuser-Busch won approvals for $14.85 million in city and state incentives to make the $170 million investment and hire 75 more employees. The city adopted a resolution in May and amended it in June.

The city would pay $12,045,000, comprising a Recapture Enhanced Value grant of $12 million over 12 years and a Qualified Target Industry grant up to $45,000 after the jobs are created, over six years. The jobs would pay an average wage of about $75,000.

The state would pay $2,805,000, comprising its 80 percent QTI match of up to $180,000, with the city paying the other 20 percent; a $2.4 million Quick Action Closing Fund; and up to $225,000 in a Quick Response Training grant.

Anheuser-Busch, which is owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev, said its investment would consist of $130 million in manufacturing equipment and $40 million in real estate improvements.

Construction would be completed by the end of 2017, according to a city project summary.

Jobs would include administration, skilled technical positions, electricians and engineers.

According to the city, the Jacksonville brewery opened in 1967. Anheuser-Busch also contracts with PepsiCo to produce cans for some of its products at the Ellis Road facility.

The container plant was built in 1975 and expanded in 1992, property records show.

The brewery and container plant together employ more than 700 people in Jacksonville, according to the city.

[email protected]

(904) 356-2466



Special Offer: $5 for 2 Months!

Your free article limit has been reached this month.
Subscribe now for unlimited digital access to our award-winning business news.