The building in the Sports and Entertainment District will make way for a mixed-use development with apartments.
A demolition crew took down the first pieces of the George Doro Fixture Co. block March 29, clearing the way for Rise: A Real Estate Company's residential and mixed-use project, The Doro.
The first buildings on the Doro block in the Downtown Sports and Entertainment District date to 1914 and additional structures were added through 1954.
Realco Recycling Co. Inc. is the demolition contractor.
City-issued permits show a job cost of $225,015 for demolition of structures at 128 A. Philip Randolph Blvd.; 102 A. Philip Randolph Blvd., the main George Doro building; and 951 Forsyth St.
The George Doro Fixture Co. fabricated architectural woodwork, casework and millwork on the 1.77-acre block, which is bounded by A. Philip Randolph Boulevard and Adams, Lafayette and Forsyth streets.
Rise bought the property Sept. 30 for $5.2 million from 102 A. Philip Randolph LLC, led by Jacksonville investors Paul and Farley Grainger.
Construction of The Doro is expected to cost $35.6 million. Rise anticipates a total project investment of $65.64 million.