P.F. Chang’s China Bistro sent a letter to city and state officials saying it expects to continue reducing hours for 109 employees at its St. Johns Town Center restaurant because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic
Although it doesn’t say employees are being laid off, the Sept. 18 letter was posted under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act.
The company sent similar letters for 10 other Florida restaurants, which were posted on the WARN website Oct. 5.
Industry newsletter Restaurant Dive reported P.F. Chang’s had already posted WARN letters affecting up to 5,800 workers in 20 states as of Oct. 1.
P.F. Chang’s has more than 210 U.S. restaurants.
The letter for its Jacksonville restaurant at 10281 Midtown Parkway said many employees had their hours reduced by more than 50% beginning in the spring.
“As governmental orders limiting restaurant operations remain in place for the foreseeable future, it is now clear to the Company that temporary reduced operations and reductions of hours at the restaurant may last beyond six months from its start back in the spring,” it said.
P.F. Chang’s said it does not know how long the reduction in hours will last.